01 January 2017

How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words by Patricia Love and Steven Stosny

Rating: 1 out of 10

Another book that plays off of stereotypes of men and women.

When I saw this book on the library website, I didn't think it would be that way. So I was really disappointed when I got the requested book, and read the cover.

I'm sure some of their advice is useful, but honestly, if they need to envelope good advice in a pillow of gender-based insults, then I don't need to read it, or try any of their advice. Based on their assumptions, all relationships with two men are absolutely perfect, because what ruins a relationship is a woman who wants to talk about their feelings all the time! (sarcasm ahead...) Well, since a relationship between two men never has problems, their premise is obviously true.

The problem with the stereotypes of men and women that are perpetuated in relationship books is that not all people fit into these descriptions. Some people do, and that's why the stereotypes persist. I would love to see a book about relationships that follows the following principles:
1. No gender-based assumptions
2. No assumptions on what the genders are in a relationship

I can't imagine it would be that difficult! Someone write this book, please! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment